Welcome to Brand Storytelling through Strategy and Design
I am a hybrid advertising and marketing professional with a strong background in the brand strategy, design and implementation of retail and consumer packaged goods innovations and initiatives—across all media touchpoints.
Making an emotive connection with an audience—by leveraging strategy and design—is at the heart of my work.
Throughout my career, I have delivered the best possible level of creativity, service and leadership for a variety of clients including: Procter & Gamble, GE Appliances, Yum! Brands, Darden Restaurants, PepsiCo, Frito-Lay, Kroger, Kraft, Mead, Smucker’s, Lowe’s, Tyson, Heinz, AT&T and Valvoline.
Some Things I’ve Learned from Brands:
- Kentucky Fried Chicken: Sales over night, brand over time.
- GE Appliances: Leverage consumer insight—provide rationale to stakeholders.
- Frito-Lay: Build relationships across corporate functions—listen, offer solutions.
- Darden: “The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer.” —Drucker
- Community Health Systems: Recognize the patient journey, promote service lines.
- Lowe’s Home Improvement: Brand positioning is everything.
- Charmin Bathroom Tissue: Champion the brand building process. Understand differing markets—adapt.
- Iams and Eukanuba Pet Foods: Embrace complexity and volume—build efficiencies.
- Bounce Fabric Softener: Take ownership in your work—compete at shelf.
My Background Story
So, I was the guy in design school wearing khakis and a button down—when everyone else was going goth and wearing all black. My roommates were all business students. So, I learned to be a translator between creative and business. A package design class and an avid interest in the Price is Right steered me to Cincinnati and a career in consumer packaged goods. Cutting my teeth on Bounce Fabric Softener during the mid 1990s, I learned how design and storytelling at shelf can increase sales (pretty cool to see how the brand has evolved since). At any rate, I was afforded the opportunity to become somewhat of an agency hybrid—half designer, half strategist and half account person (ok, I know that’s three halfs, but I said account, not accounting). From there, I’ve gone on to support other global CPG brands, as well as the B2C and B2B categories—including brands in retail, restaurant and healthcare industries.
Call me the design guy that knows advertising, or the advertising guy that understands design—a curious learner. A hybrid.
The tactics may be different, but the overall goal is the same—make a connection with an audience, provide rationale to the business stakeholders and sell, sell, sell.
- Corporate Communications
- Competitive Audit
- Workshop Development
- Consumer Research
- Brand Strategy and Positioning
- Brand Character and Architecture
- Brand Identity
- Brand Guidelines
- Creative Concepting
- Photography Direction
- Package Design
- Design Implementation
- Supply Chain Management
Significant Professional Roles:
Director, Business Communications and Specialty Services at Scoppechio
Director, Design Strategy and Innovation at Scoppechio
- Design Manager at PepsiCo Frito-Lay
- Senior Brand Identity Manager at Interbrand
- Director of Brand Strategy at RGI, Inc.
- Adjunct Instructor at University of Cincinnati
- Adjunct Instructor at Miami University
- Adjunct Instructor at University of Louisville